CrossFit 859 Fall 2013 Paleo Challenge
What is Paleo?
The Paleo Diet is an approach that is based on the quality of foods you eat. It mimics the diets of a "hunter-gatherer" mentality--consisting of lean meats, seafood, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds. It excludes foods that came from agriculture or processing, such as dairy, grains, refined sugars, etc.
We have listed some resources below so that you can get all the details. But to simplify, here is a summary:
• You can eat all lean meat, fish, seafood & eggs
• You can eat all non-starchy seasonal vegetables
• Plenty of seasonal fruit
• Moderate healthy fats
• Moderate nuts and seeds
• No grains or cereals at all
• No legumes
• No dairy products (eggs are not dairy)
• No processed foods – make it yourself (if it's in a bag or box--don't eat it)!
• No sugars. Agave, organic honey, molasses, pure spun golden sunshine....it doesn’t matter, they
are all out
•No artificial sweeteners, these are not food!
Protein should be the first thing making up your meal or snack. Depending on your individual needs, this can range between 3-9 ounces, but when all else fails, you can follow the general rule of having a serving of protein the size of your palm.
For carbohydrates, eat vegetables! You want to focus most of your meal with non-starchy carbs. Make sure you get variation, and eat a lot of them! Avoid starchy vegetables (i.e. potatoes), and also avoid legumes (i.e. peanuts, beans, peas, soybeans etc.). Fruit is good for you in moderation. There is a hierarchy of fruit based on the fruits nutrient value and glycemic load.
Despite what modern society has taught us to believe, fats are good for you. On the paleo diet, your body is trained to burn fat instead of carbs for energy (this will make your energy levels more stable), so don’t skip the fat in your meals! Buy oils (coconut, olive) organic and cold pressed so they remain chemically unchanged. Eat avocado, and coconut in all forms. Nuts are good in moderation (walnuts, pecans and macadamia nuts are your best choice). Buy them raw and unsalted. Avoid canola, peanut, cottonseed, soybean, and wheat germ oils. Avoid trans fats and hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils
For hydration, drink water, coffee, and tea. If you drink coffee, drink it black or with unsweetened almond milk.
1. You must sign up through the website HERE (CrossFit 859 Members only). The Challenge begins on October 2, but feel free to sign up at any time throughout it (you will just not have the opportunity to accumulate as many points).
2. Although not a requirement, please participate by posting on our Paleo Blog. One goal of the Challenge is to get members interacting, so get on there to tell others how it's going, what successes you have had, what is awful about it (misery loves company), etc. Also, please post any good recipes that you either found or devised on your own. And, get on there and encourage one another!
3. Although a true Paleo diet and lifestyle is an all-or-none thing, we will be awarding points based upon several different aspects. So, while avoiding grains and avoiding dairy are 2 separate goals that can earn points (see below), remember that to get the full benefit from a Paleo diet, you need to go on it 100%, and 100% of the time. Up to 6 points will be available to earn each day. This will be on the honor system (we trust you). You earn points, each day, for each of the following:
-avoiding all grains and legumes: 1 point
-avoiding all dairy: 1 point
-avoiding all processed foods (if it's in a bag or box--don't eat it): 1 point
-avoiding all sugars and artificial sweeteners: 1 point
-getting 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep: 1 point
-attending class at CF859, doing the CF859 WOD on your own (max 6/week): 1 point
4. At the end of each week (Sunday), send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your total score for that week. We will keep track of your score on a spreadsheet, give regular updates, and keep a leaderboard on the wall at the box.
5. The member with the most points at the end of 60 days (December 1) will win a $100 gift card to Malone's. The member with the most inspiring post/posts on the blog site (as voted by the managing owners) will win a $25 gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods. The member with the best Paleo recipe posted on the blog site (as voted by the managing owners) will win a $25 gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods.
Here is a list of web resources and books that will help you in your journey. Please let us know if you have any questions along the way.
The Paleo Solution, Robb Wolf
The Primal Blueprint, Mark Sisson
The Paleo Diet for Athletes, Loren Cordain, Ph.D.
Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival, T.S. Wiley